Friday 17 April 2015

tigerprint

I made this pattern for tigerprints make your mark competition
Since it was about mark making I wanted to use analogue materials, especially since lately I seem to use exclusively digital. I used watercolour and a square brush which was conducive to making the finger shapes of these hands. I have no particular reason why hands, perhaps other than that I'd been struggling with hands in a previous drawing so I still had hands on the brain.

I tarted it up a bit in Photoshop. removing the crease down the middle, the holes down the side and some rogue messy hands that didn't go well. I also repositioned some as they looked very busy in some areas and sparse in others.
Then I used levels and hue saturation to make them crisper and brighter, and put a textured background behind it to remove the stark white area.
Using the hue bar I tried a lot of different background colours and couldn't decide which one to use.
Here they are. I eventually decided upon the turquoise because it was the safest option and most springtime suitable, which is mentioned in the brief. 



No comments:

Post a Comment