Saturday 18 April 2015

tigerprint bugs

I made this pattern for the tigerprint make your mark competition
I'd been drawing bugs for my offlife comic when rowena pointed out they'd make a good pattern
so I painted them in watercolour with a small square tipped brush
it took a lot of concentration because they were really small and i don't tend to do stuff like this that requires ones head to be millimetres away from the page.
it was fun though, therapeutic, and the forms of bugs are fun to invent after basic research
I found the shape of my brush lended itself well to certain parts, like the wings, but less so to doing anything round or dot-like
i intended to do the whole page but this small section took long enough 


I scanned the drawing in and changed the levels and hue saturation so it was crisper and brighter, then i repeated the pattern, which took a while because i didnt paint it with repeating in mind so its quite irregularly shaped
in the end i got it looking okay and changed the background to a warmer orange
i think it looks quite summery, warm colours and bugs, thats my view of summer at least
eventhough the brief was spring time themed
bugs are out in spring so it still works
i like this pattern i think its cute, and i like the variation in tone the watercolour makes throughout one stroke/shape




No comments:

Post a Comment