Thursday 30 January 2014

Observed Drawing Session

I really enjoyed this session because it was reassuring to know I can still do proper art school drawing and haven't destroyed my skills by drawing cartoons.
 I tried to make this drawing realistic but slightly stylised so used thick black shadows and one bright block colour to brighten it up. It was quite a battle figuring out a way to draw corduroy but I thought in its most basic form it's just lines, so I drew lines in the direction of the folds of the jacket. I did the lines in pencil so they wouldnt get confused with the outline and details. I think it turned out pretty well, but the purse is a bit disproportionate. 
I used a dip pen and black and yellow ink for this one. I like the quality of the lines and the scratchy texture but I was quite messy with it so the drawing is covered in splodges. I think it looks unfinished though because only the jacket is filled in, but using the nib pen I couldnt really fill in the other elements as they were block patternless colours and to make them yellow would've been confusing and unblanced.

I definitely want to do this more often because it was satisfying to hone my technical and obeservational drawing skills and I feel its something I've been neglecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment