Monday 27 January 2014

Front cover

Here's some plans and the resolution of my front and back covers.

Originally planned to do block 3d letters like in the image below by Jay Roeder



My favourite of the plans was to make the whole front and back cover one image of zombie creatures approaching, similar to a scene from night of the living dead I used as reference for visual language.
Sadly I didnt allow enough time to do this, so had to plan something simpler and quicker

This idea was visually confusing, split into uncomfortable sections, wheres the focus point

Too empty and boring

Again confusing, too many eyes and focuses

This is my favourite test as it was simple enough to execute in the remaining time while still looking presentable and reflective of an acceptable amount of effort.

I tried the text in a bubble shaped to it. This looked weird and confusing

I decided on a plain white rectangle to house the text, which was hand drawn. I tried to get something with a naive aesthetic which I think it has but I fear it too closely resembles comic sans.  

I put a wooden frame around the title for decoration and coloured in the hat stripy so it would stand out from the background and border. I wrote my name near the bottom in white to make it subtly highlighted. I think the swinging hat was a good idea as it sets a lighthearted silly tone for the comic, which I feel is both met and flouted.


I added this on last minute as a black page seemed wasteful and boring.  I had to make sure the hat was on the correct side in indesgin so the hat would print on the outer side of the page. I neglected however to do this with the zines.

I should have left more time for the cover but I think it's acceptable, clear and fitting of its purpose 

No comments:

Post a Comment