Monday 15 February 2016

Cressinda Cowell

The text is written by Cressinda Cowell, who wrote How to Train Your Dragon, which I haven't read but I really liked the movie. I remember it being very refreshing in a time saturated by naff and unimaginative cgi movies.
I haven't seen the second one yet



The success of the movie, for me, was attributable to a solid story with likeable and believable characters in a well logically-established half fantasy/half historical world. Having not read the book I can't say for sure this was thanks to Cressinda's writing, but I'm pretty sure.

She illustrated the books herself, and while it's not really my thing I do enjoy the uninhibited movement in her sketch-like drawings and I can see why children really connected with them.


Also I like that the first edition was published under hiccups name and translated by Cressinda


It seems what she likes is general whimsy and naivety, as would be expected for a childrens book author. Since she's judging, and it's her text, I'd better try and capitalise on whimsy and movement as best I can. 





I'm comin ter get yer cressinda

No comments:

Post a Comment