Tuesday 9 February 2016

Bridlington

In order to make me start on the Heady Leggy Macmillan book I chose a theme to work on, which ended up being seaside as it's a good common childrens book trope that I can attempt to invert slightly, but not offputingly so.
Thus I went to Bridlington for the day, I think its the most kitchy camp seaside around this area and has that tacky cheerful seaside aesthetic I'm striving for.

Here is my board of online images creating this seaside aesthetic.


Follow Hollie's board Eddy Greggy on Pinterest.


Being winter it was very bitterly cold in Bridlington and I think the photographs reflect that. It's quite a baron place at this time of year, which I'd like to feed some of into the book, the general grimness of the British seaside. I think it will be summer in the book so it's less boring, 'cause everything's shut in the winter and that would make for a very short story, but I'd like to communicate an air of general grimness that Eddy interprets with sheer wonder and undiluted naive joy.
The signage is the best part of Bridlington, there's some real doozies. Some are just horrible and some are very lovely in their bold hideousness. There's so many primary colours, which at the minute I find to be the only colours worth bothering with.

Here are my sad grey pictures. Note my favourite; the man running with a bag of dog poo.




No comments:

Post a Comment