Tuesday 9 February 2016

Clearest Blue process

I started off faffing about with the polygon lasso tool and making pastel palooza brush strokes in the selections, with no real intention or purpose.

I liked where this was going so I started trying to arrange them into shapes but this was going nowhere so I went into the sketchbook.


I toyed with ham-fisted cliff visuals before stripping away all the guff and leaving just the two simple figures in the centre with the shard shapes rippling outwards from them.
Seemed kinda appropriate in a floopy sentimental artsy way, lyric-wise.

So I started working the shapes around these figures.

I had to group the shapes into number groups because each one was a layer or two so they became quite too numerous to handle

Then it just became a matter of filling the space with the rules I'd established.

























At this point I figured it was probably done but i was a little underwhelmed by the outcome, it still looked a bit stark, so I started playing about with gradiented backgrounds and eventually, in fact accidentally, arrived at this solution.



I think its much better and ties all the shapes in together, and it looks fuller and just generally more complete. This is the final resolution for Clearest Blue, I'm pretty pleased and have received lots of positive feedback. It's very different to what I usually do but its nice to have a change sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment