Thursday 10 March 2016

Penguin Book Awards

I ended up making these entries between Monday and Wednesday of this week. 

The rushing was motivating and also exhausting, but I wanted to force myself to do some finished work, like for the D&AD brief, so I did and now theyre done and I'm quite happy.


They might have turned out better if I'd allowed more time but also I might have laboured over it too much and ended up giving up or only doing one or making three strained dull images, who knows.
I would have had time to read the books though which I'm sure might have helped.

How to be a Woman





 Pretty happy with this outcome. I like the colours, accidently chosen the pantone colours of the year again but I guess theres a reason theyre colours of the year, cos theyre pretty. 
I'm happy with the drawing itself, I think a good line quality comes from soft coloured pencil.
The concept is very simple, perhaps too simple, there might be a thousand other entries just like mine, I'll just hope I executed it best.

 Emil and the Detectives

I made a very brief plan of this based entirely on my ignorant assumptions about Berlin


After this I researched a little and it was basically fine, just needed pimping out, but I liked the noir nighttimey purple sharp edged textured shape thing going on so I went with that.

I did this one entirely digitally for time reasons.




I like how it turned out but the characters could have benefited from more time devoted to them. 
Also I kept getting real annoyed with the cintiq because the colour changes DRASTICALLY from screen to screen its really weird, so I never knew what colour it actually was until the end when I faffed about with the levels. The top image is the colour it was on the cintiq and then it got brighter like the other two iamges on the mac screen. I ended up liking that one better anyway.

A Clockwork Orange
So it got to 10 on wednesday morning and there has an hour or so left so I thought I'd have a crack at clockwork orange. Why the heck not. 

It was very simple, for obvious reasons but i think its not bad.

The cintiq screwed me over with colours again because it was a really bright pure lobster orange but on the mac screen it went bright red, as below


 So I changed it back to orange but looking at them together now I'm unsure whether that was the right decision. Oh Well.


Im glad I managed to get all three submitted and pretty pround of how quickly I did it with reasonable results. Well done me. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment