Saturday 12 March 2016

d&ad

I decided to do the shutterstock brief for d&ad. Three images in three days.
Here's the brief.

The Creative Challenge

Comedy, Rebirth, Rags to Riches, Tragedy, The Quest, Overcoming the Monster, Voyage and Return – these seven plot archetypes can be seen at work everywhere, from global news stories to the smallest interaction (see Christopher Booker’s The Seven Basic Plots: Why We Tell Stories for a better idea of what these archetypes involve).
Pick three of the seven archetypes and create a static or moving image for each one that tells a story from the modern world. Look to unexpected places, find the dramatic in the seemingly banal, the emotion and humanity that underlies the routine of our daily lives. In a fast-moving, digital world, having the time and space to unfold a story is a luxury not often available. How do you distil the essence of it down to something that can be captured in a single moment?

So I did some quick sketches



I chose to do
Rags to riches - tenner on the floor
Tragedy - Dropped pasta sauce
Overcoming the Monster - Spider

I started immediately after deciding this and drew out the lines in coloured pencil for the first image.
I did them one at a time but it probably wouldve been more efficient to do all the lines first and then do all the colouring.



I'm most pleased with the sauce one, I think theres some good sauce textureyness going on.
The tenner one is fine.
I hate the spider one. The portraits were okay but its just flawed compositionally. Alas I only realised this after colouring it in because i thought it might be fine once its coloured in.

I coloured them in on photoshop and directly referenced the pantone colour swatch for 2016, because these competitions are all about trends and cynicism.

Here they are.



 I didn't submit them in the end because I think d&ad is a scam and you had to make a 30 second video which would take time away unnecessarily from other projects.

The purpose of this exercise was as part of the brief where I'm making quick turnaround finalised image portfolio pieces, to make up for all the non finished sketchy cartoon work I have.

I'm happy with them as a set but the spider one still bugs me. Hah bugs. 
I was gonna redo it but then that seemed like a waste of time. 

Trials and tribulations with spider image to come in issuu form.

No comments:

Post a Comment