Sunday 30 November 2014

Print redesign

Following my tutorial it became apparent that my print ideas were rubbish. I had a feeling they were.
I suppose the pressure to settle on an idea quickly so as to allow myself ample production time lead me into panic, which resulted in lazy designs.
I've redesigned them on the theme of speech bubbles, still focusing on the characters but now there's a link between my animation and prints. I've chosen quotes indicative of character,
Rorschach - They'll look up and shout save us and i will whisper no - arguably most famous/one of,  in book - contempt for others and assumed power
Dr Manhattan - We're all puppets Laurie I'm just a puppet who can see the strings - complacence and actual power, omniscience
Nite Owl - Looking back it all seems so childish, like a schoolkids fantasy that got out of hand
Ozymandias - I don't mind being the smartest man in the world i just wish it wasnt this one
Laurie - There's no such thing as quitting, just sometimes theres a longer pause between relapses

Each will be in a speech bubble with items and motifs representing the characters in applicable colours

My favourite is the comedian design with the cigar. It looks the most balanced and complete.
The scale difference between dr manhattans big hand and his little watch may prove difficult, as it did in sketches. Consider normal size hand or alterations. Mars palace could work but is very complicated and would be infinitely stressful to produce. Also that strays back into the territory of recreating someone elses design.
Same with nite owl's archie ship, recreating existing designs.
It's very difficult to avoid when working from visual source material.
Motifs could be the way, like comedians cigar. No infringement on a cigar.
I played around with my hand writing trying to make something vaguely presentable and arranging the quotes in different ways. Oddly enjoyable.
I think I'll hand draw the quotes, if I can achieve an acceptable aesthetic.

Accidentally my animation plans are in this issu document so lets discuss that.
Following my enjoyment of animating Alan Moore's quotes I've decided to do it again but better for the animation. I've gathered some particularly visual quotes and narrowed them down to three, for which I made these storyboards.
I'll perhaps also remake the magician animation in a less scrappy manor.




No comments:

Post a Comment