Monday 10 November 2014

60 Frame Animation

I was faffing about trying to decide what to animate so I watched some interviews with Alan Moore to refresh my zeal for the project. I remembered what a fascinatingly bizarre man he is and the brilliant things he says, and even just his mannerisms in interviews are indicative of his crazy personality, so I decided to animate that. 

blurry notes of Alan Moore quotes

I made a dictionary of his movements and mannerisms to use as reference 



Hair fiddling

His repeated hand gestures 


Expressive hands 

I tried to think how the gestures he makes link to the stresses he puts on different words

I chose the quote "On my 40th birthday, rather than merely bore my friends by having something as mundane as a midlife crisis, I decided it might be more interesting to actually terrify them by going completely mad and declaring myself a magician"

I storyboarded it imagining how he would move in relation to each syllable 


Arrows are the direction his head moves. He has a twirly head

In the end the camera zooms out to reveal him in full magicians garb



Making the frames was an exhausting but invaluable learning curve.
It took about 3 times longer than I expected so in the end I had to cut the quote down to just the necessary elements. I coloured it in a little so it would be less plain but because I used a scribbly lose method it changes in each frame, which gives a flickering effect that I havent decided if I like or not yet. 


Hand drawn is a lot harder than dragon frame, as far as I've experienced, but I'm sure there's a more time economical way of doing this. It's definitely something I need to expand on 


No comments:

Post a Comment