Monday 5 January 2015

Print rethink summary

This print project has been a long and troublesome evolution.
It began that my idea was to focus on the main characters in Watchmen. My main issue was that the material I was working with was already visual, and drawn, so I was trying to figure out how to draw something that wasn't a drawing of those drawings.. 
So naturally I chose to draw the characters faces, half costume half not.. 

Following my tutorial I realised this was stupid and did not at all achieve my intention of not redrawing the characters, so I started again with the theme of speech bubbles to link in with my animation.  

I went forward with these plans and started making the finals in photoshop. Each one had two colours relating to the character and I experimented with overlaying different opacities of the two colours to make more shades. 

While I was completing the other designs I decided to do a test screen print of the Comedian design that I finished first to make sure what I planned would work. This wasn't particularly successful, not because of the design but because I am weak and clumsy and therefore not well suited to screen printing. I tried again a few times and it got gradually better but I only managed to get the blue layer down before the print room closed for christmas, so hopefully all of my silly errors are out of the way now and I can print properly after christmas and not like a complete fool. 

Over Christmas I was working on the rest of my print designs when I made the potentially problematic decision to start again, again.
I was having difficulty completing the Dr Manhattan design because his hand looked bizarre and I wasn't happy with the whole thing, so I decided to simplify all of my designs to a more similar format to the Comedian one with a large speech bubble at the top of the image, a pattern in the background and an object at the bottom. 

I'm much happier with these designs as they will be less complex to draw out and I think they fit better together as a set 


No comments:

Post a Comment