Tuesday 6 January 2015

comedian


The comedian print is my favourite. Perhaps because it was the first remotely successful design I did but I think the elements fit together best in this one, as do the colours. 

It's comprised of two layers, red and blue, so it'll be easy to make positives. This was a different way to work as I had to consider the printing ink as I drew and how to minimise my work load later on. I used two colours at different opacities to overlay and make more tones, eyedropping the colour on say 30% on a white background and putting that back up to 100% and painting with it. Also using multiply meant I could overlay the layers like inks on the cigar and see how it would look with the two on top of each other. Hopefully this will come through in the prints.

I added a comedian badge smiley face on the sticker of the cigar. Character clues and whatnot.

Cigar because he's always pictured with a cigar
American flag because of his political standing and aassociation with americas fight in the vietnam war
The smoke speechbubble coming from the cigar
Red and blue relate to american association as well as costume
and the blood puddle for his violent and bloody death, which left a blood puddle on the pavement on the first page of the book. 



No comments:

Post a Comment