Thursday 3 April 2014

Greetings from.... Evaluation

In the final crit my feedback was as such;
1. Yes it communicates the city, some confusion with one or two, down to our ignorance
2. Yeah they work as a set, very good, the colour palette helps make them a set.
3. Colour creates an atmosphere - how you've used similar tones for all the detail.
4. High technical competence, lots of small detail makes it look realistic
5. Similar composition and good use of format.

I was overall pretty pleased with the postcards I made. I think I developed a decent level of skill on Illustrator, particularly with the pen tool, which I will definitely use again as there's so much more to explore on it. Using Illustrator complements my recent desire to work more with shape and block colours, relying less on line, so I want to find ways to push it further and fully integrate it into my practice. Also I was pleased with my overall use of colour. I think it helped to limit myself to one main colour for each because it eliminated the time consuming confusion I usually experience when choosing colours digitally.
I think the downfalls of these postcards are that some of them aren't instantly recognisable to someone who hasn't been researching Worlds Fairs all week, particularly Hanbit Tap, which even I keep forgetting the name of. The Sunsphere one depends directly on ones familiarity with the Simpsons episode Bart on the Road, but I think most people will know the Space Needle, and everyone knows the Eiffel Tower. As well as this I think they were quite weak in concept as usually I would've liked them to communicate something clearer or more amusing than they do, but I don't think the brief required this and I spent so long trying to think of something interesting that I ended up rushing to meet the deadline.

No comments:

Post a Comment