Sunday 6 October 2013

SUMMER BRIEF














-In response to the summer brief to make ten 10x10 images responding to ten different statements.

I chose to work in watercolour and brush pen as its a method I have practised and have had success with in the past. I tried to make the palette muted and consistent so the images would look like a set, as in the past I've found I can get carried away when adding colour and make the image confusing and garish. I modified my character to fit this brief by updating the hairstyle and leaving the skin blank with some colour on the cheeks to make it less flat. I've also begun to sketch out a head frame to place the features in as apposed to guessing, I've yet to decide whether this is an improvement or not but they do look neater and more consistent. I'm pleased with most of the images except for the one where my sim achieves her life goal because I tried to make some sort of lighting effect coming from the laptop screen but it backfired considerably and turned into a blue ghoulish mess. Thankfully nobody seems to have noticed. Also the idea of the moving out one was a little weak but I went on to base my additional ten brief on this theme so I feel its excusable. When we presented our work I put them overturned on the side where  the statements were written so people would turn them over to see the drawing and therefor engage more with my work.

The feedback I got was overall very positive:
"Love the tramp playing the cone, reminds me of the one back home."
"Really like the humour! Especially "something you'd rather not have done!""
"Love your 'something you wore' really really funny!'"
"Really amazing presentation, works so well as a collection. Very descriptive images!"
"SO FUNNY! Love them all."
"Great style! All work really well... very jealous!"
"Simple but funny + well thought out. I like that its interactive- you have to turn them over."
"These are really funny!"
"So funny <3"
"I love these! + I got the same haircut! But people called me Dora the Explorer. Your use of colour is rad and I dont usually like thick lines but you do them justice."
"Design, Humour, Linework, Ink/W'col, Tone, BRILLS"
"Great sense of humour and style in work. The flip idea to paper makes the series even more humourous."
"Hi-larious!!"
"Great presentations & illustrations made me giggle."
"You use pens + paint so well argh!! these look super polished given how messy each media is (PS WHAT IS THAT PEN I MUST KNOW"
"I love the comic book style!"
"Beautifully done, I love the hair particularly. The way you presented them is really clever especially love the something you wore card!"
"Skilllllz = (illegible) colour & ink is amazingly done"
"Love your pieces they are humourous, great character and a lot of effort gone into them. Amazing."
"Some well tempered brush control. FUNNY ALSO."
"Love how they're presented & they're all drawn beautifully. Really awesome drawing style."
"These are soo good, like mozzarella sticks of ideas."
"Really love these, every one of them made me laugh. Love your approach + the sarcastic tone you have, to improve I would make sure edges are neat and finished off well. Overall it is really great"
"The ink work is great and I really enjoyed the layout, you provided something different to everyone else."
"JUST. FUCK. YES! YEEEEE"
"Good way of presenting your work."



No comments:

Post a Comment