Tuesday 8 October 2013

ADDITIONAL TEN BRIEF

- expanding on an idea from the summer brief make an A2 poster displaying ten of something.




I started planning by writing lists of potential directions I could go in using my existing images, for example 10 Favourite Homeless People from the image of a homeless man playing a traffic cone. I systematically went through these and tried with each to think of at least ten accompanying examples. Some I struggled to reach five and abandoned but my most fruitful ideas were 10 Things I Can Do Now That I've Moved Out, 10 Ways To Disarm A Spider (with a cruelty rating system) and 10 Bad Haircuts I've Had. I chose the first after it was deemed the idea with most potential in a group crit. I decided to continue in a comics style and fill the A2 sheet with panels of various shapes all based around the same sized box. When sketching ideas for the comics I found most of my initial ideas were based around food or sleeping so to make the panels more varied I changed it to just 10 Things About Moving Out, allowing me to include mishaps and snapshots as well. I made a plan on A2 of what the finished piece would look like, which I'm pleased I did as it helped me identify a lot of things that could be improved, also I got to test different materials for drawing borders; I found sharpie to be the neatest.


Originally I'd intended to draw the lines in black ink and use watercolour in either two colours or several shades of the same colour to add some tone to the image. However, I made the error of not checking whether or not the new pen I was using contained waterproof ink. It did not so I changed my plan to accomodate this mistake and added more areas of block black shading and pattern to balance out the blank spaces left in the image. Also I misspelt the word 'squirty' in one panel due to my haste. It's possible I may have attempted too great a task to realistically complete within the assigned time, I missed out on a fair amount of sleep as a result.



I think the page went quite well ultimately and when displayed I got a very positive reaction. From the voting I received 11 thought-bubble votes for good idea and four eye votes for best aesthetic, as well as these commets:
"Clean lines, humourous, looks like it took A LOT more time than it did."
"Looks sick"
"Really nicely lined, good balance of b/w."
"Narratives are lovely, really funny."
"Cool storyboard, muchos humourous!"
"Actually made me stop and read and pretty swish comedy!"


No comments:

Post a Comment