Tuesday 10 May 2016

Redefining

Time constraints have dictated that I redefine the outcomes of my brief

It would be physically possible to fully complete the artwork of the book in time to hand in but it would comprimise the quality and quantity of the rest of brief.

At this point I think I've demonstrated the aesthetic and the process, and I've learnt what I can from that. To complete the rest of the pages would be going through the motions and would demonstrate nothing new about my practice or the brief.

Instead I'm going to put this time into the proposed range surrounding the book.

I think in doing this I will evidence an understanding of the scope of the project and the context in which it exists. This is more valuable knowledge to demonstrate at this point than my knowledge of how to create mixed media drawings of the life cycle of my invented creatures.

If time remains after fulfulling the other aspects of the brief I will continue to make the imagery and I plan to complete the imagery for the final show, where the visuals are probably more valuable to demonstrate than the proposed context.

I have stopped at eight completed pages, leaving four and the cover and inlay pages proposed.

I think this is enough to demonstrate my book proposal as the two book competitions I entered requested 4 final spreads and 8 roughs. Doubling this quantity makes it adequately significant.

This decision also means I won't have to comprimise the quality of the drawings. I'd been trying to find ways to speed up the process but it just cannot be done any quicker. Rushing them makes them sloppy and I think that would ruin the product.

So I will be submitting eight finalised spreads, the boards of my product range and a printed mock up of the book with finals, roughs and a typed script intergrated.



No comments:

Post a Comment