Sunday 15 March 2015

Save the Children finals

I'm pleased with how these drawings are turning out, especially since I didn't plan them that much
I 've been sketching the image straight into Photoshop to save time and make them cleaner, then I've been drawing over the sketches in block colour shapes using various fuzz edged brushes.
To vary the colour scheme more I swatched 3 different opacities of the colours I chose so I have a wider range of tones to play with. I made a swatch palette of the colours I'm allowed to use so I dont veer away from the brief, and its much easier than pipetting every colour I need from elsewhere in the image. I will continue to use these swatches for relevant colour limited tasks.
I've been taking inspiration from this board I made of illustrations from the 50s 60s and 70s
I think the bright cheery charming aesthetic of these examples is a good thing to aim for for this brief because it attracts both  children and adults (through nostalgia)


Follow Hollie's board 5670's on Pinterest.


Anyway here's where I'm at so far. My favourite is the signpost orange trees one. I realised when I started drawing this that I'd planned trees but I hadn't put any green in my palette, so I had to make it autumn and use the reds and yellows. I'm glad of this because I think it looks much better than if the trees were a forced bright green that did not match the rest of the colours.

Also I recently discovered groups in the layers menu.
I always get my layers confused and mixed up in the wrong order so now I've started making folders for each component of the image, so I'll have a folder for people and in that theres a folder for the dad and in that there's a folder for head and one for body and so on. It makes my working process much more organised and I'm wasting less time looking through my layers for the right one



No comments:

Post a Comment