Friday 1 November 2013

Tone, Mark and Pattern

I tried to create tone, mark and  pattern using mostly pens and some pencil, as I often struggle to achieve tone with pen and find my linework can often be empty and plain. 

I did a few drawings of this image of Frankensteins bride because it had a good mixture of shadows and textures, partiularly in the hair and the folds of the dress.
using scribbled pencil marks to denote tone


trying to create tone with different weights of scribbled pen marks


using patterns of lines to show shadow (i am not responsible for the profanity at the top of this page)


I used a thicker pen to make bolder marks but it meant my linework was less controlled


on the left i used a variety of pen thicknesses to make a more laboured drawing where I made the shadowed areas more defined, on the right I used as few marks as I felt possible to recreate the image


here i used a brush which made my mark making more unpredictable


watching carrie I created tone using patterns and cross hatching (mostly on the bottom drawing, the other two are just line )


Watching scream, I suggested the movement of the jumper and hair by using a line pattern


image from the evil dead, I used scribbled pen lines to match the mottled pattern of the flesh and the violent movement of the scene 


american werewolf in london, I focused on the hair, making feathered marks with a pen 





i used pencil to create the tone and shadow on pinheads face and then a grey pen to make the pin shaped marks and to detail his features


in a drawing of the same image on the previous page I had used promarkers which bled through the paper onto this side, so i used those marks to create the shadow in this drawing and then used a brush felt tip to sketch in his features and extra lines


i did the same again here but used a cross hatching pattern to add detail to the face

No comments:

Post a Comment